Sunday, March 6, 2011

About this blog

Hi all,

I'm starting this blog to provide some background info on Mather and Company posters and to explain my own involvement with the pieces. My parents have been collecting Mather posters for over 20 years and this past summer completed their collection of all 78 posters from the 1924-1925 series. After growing up surrounded by the pieces - with 70 plus posters lying around, my parents' home was naturally transformed into a Mather gallery - I decided to write my M.A. thesis at NYU on the posters and set out to understand their history and the context of their production.

During the summer of 2010, the Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art exhibited 30 of our Mather posters and allowed us to finally showcase them as we'd always wanted. The show was a tremendous success, bringing in record audiences and garnering us a landslide of national and regional press.

Since then, we've decided to bring 10 of the pieces to Brooklyn, NY at the end of March 2011, and we're eager to see what lies ahead for Mather and Company. Our goal of this small show is to increase public visibility of these incredible pieces of graphic design and Americana.

I'm truly looking forward to hearing all of your thoughts and insights about the posters.

No comments:

Post a Comment